Houston William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)
History, Facts and Overview
(Houston, Texas - TX, USA)
The city's very first commercial airfield, William P Hobby Airport originated as a private airfield, which was purchased by the city of Houston in 1937. The airport opened just one year later, complete with its very own control tower. At this stage it was known as the Howard Hughes Airport, although it was soon changed to the Houston Municipal.
In 1950, Pan-Am Airways began operating flights to and from Mexico City and in 1954, the name was changed once more, to the Houston International Airport. Soon after, services began to Amsterdam and the existing terminal was extended and modernized. In 1957, the age of turbo jet planes meant that the runways needed to be extended to around 2,300 metres / 7,545 feet. In 1967, Houston International became the William P. Hobby Airport (HOU), being named after a former governor.
Today, facilities at the single, two-level terminal building of Houston William P Hobby Airport include a currency exchange booth, cash machines and a shoeshine stand. Choices for eating are very good, with over a dozen different eateries of all descriptions, including favorites such as Texas Express Pizza, Subway and Wendy's. Various shops are also spread throughout the airport, offering the chance to purchase some last-minute Texas souvenirs.
A large pre-bookable conference room with basic business facilities is available within Concourse C of the departures area. Also worth noting, the currency exchange center at HOU Hobby Airport offers further facilities, while wireless Internet access is also on offer in the terminal.